Skip to main content

NEJA Two-Phase - May 31, 2020

Of course, none of us had any idea if we would be able to compete in 2020. I will say that my big goals for the year (which were sitting in an unpublished post from January 2020!) were to keep my horses healthy, happy, sound, to move up to BN with Ellie, and to complete one recognized horse trial at BN. And despite all of the COVID-19 protocols and cancellations over the year, we did meet our goals (mostly). Many of the local barns here in Maine took on the challenge of bringing us safe competitions in 2020. Ellie and I started the year by competing in a little schooling 2-phase and debuting at BN. It went well and it got me excited about the year's possibilities.  We had a great dressage test (placed second in our division) and then had one rail in our show jump course. The rail was totally my fault and for our first ever BN outing, I was pretty excited! We ended up fourth in a mid-sized division. And because I do not remember much else for specifics, here's a big old photo du

Clipping Woes

OK, so I have been full clipping Sparky for the past few years due to her Cushings. This spring, she surprisingly shed out almost all of her wooly coat! I was shocked. Plus we had a cold spring, so while I usually clip her in April, I waited longer this year.

So yesterday it was so hot and humid that I figured it was time. I bathed her first (which makes no sense.....bathe a horse to only then CLIP all the hair OFF!) but I had to because she was so filthy from the rain (read: mud) earlier in the week. My clipper blades would have been dull in about 2.2 seconds.

So she is squeaky clean and I put her out on the back lawn to graze on the nice grass. If I put her in her pasture, she would have rolled. But for some reason the back lawn is ROLL FREE territory. LOL!

When she is dry, I bring her in the barn to clip her. But instead of doing a full clip like I usually do, I figure I ought to leave her legs (I already clipped them last week) and a saddle shaped area. Oh how fancy!

Well the off side went well. I used an actual saddle pad for the outline. It looked OK for my first time......then to the near side.

I am clipping along, thinking how good I am getting at this body clipping stuff. Just clipping everything like usual.....OH CRAP! I clipped off most of her "saddle mark" on the near side! UGGGG! So I try to save it, but honestly, it looks horrible. The off side looks like a normal sized AP saddle mark, while the near side looks like a teeny tiny dressage saddle mark.

Poor Sparky. At least she did not seem to mind, as I gave her plenty of carrots.

It will grow in and look normal again.......in the meantime I might just have to clip the entire saddle mark off. :(

Comments