Skip to main content

She's Not a Baby Anymore!

Early spring saw some immediate changes in how Ellie carried herself and our dressage work started to truly improve.  There had been times last year where flat work felt like a fight and I wondered to myself if she was ever going to just relax and listen to me haha.

Thankfully, as the title suggests, Ellie has suddenly grown up in front of my eyes.  We have had some really stellar lessons lately, where I feel like I am suddenly able to make things click.  We also had an incredibly frustrating dressage lesson a few weeks ago where Ellie was in rip-roaring peeing heat (not normal for her) and we worked through 45 minutes of her refusing to bend right.  So, ya know, as much as she is improving, she is still an opinionated redheaded mare!  ;-)

But, I have to give her credit because she is really working her little butt off for me!  Sadly, I had not been able to schedule in a jump lesson before our first three-phase, which led to me riding her ridiculously backward at a slow trot the entire …

ASAM Long Horn Fun Festival Show - First Show of the Year!

Dreamy and I kicked off the 2013 show season with the American Saddlebred Association of Maine's (ASAM) 8th annual Long Horn Fun Festival Horse Show on April 28, 2013.  As a high school English teacher and the prom advisor, I was out super late on April 27 for our prom, so perhaps attending a horse show all the following day was not my smartest move.  But, hey, whatever.  I had everything packed and ready to go on Saturday morning before prom preparation began, and I waited to bathe Dreamy first thing on Sunday morning.  (She was thrilled - LOL!).  I did not bother to braid, which irked my inner George Morris, but there was no way that was happening.  It takes me forever to braid, since I only know how to do the sewn-in button braids, and I was already running on very little sleep.  And because I have decided to not show in-hand this year, it really did not matter anyway.  She was clean with a neat, pulled mane and it was fine.

Because I arrived when the in-hand classes had just begun, I was unable to park with my regular group of horse show friends and had to park waaaaaaay far away in the second row in the field by myself.  Blah.  I stifled myself and sucked it up, but being overtired and cranky from prom the night before (well technically early morning) did not help.

We had a good show, though I don't think I was at the top of my game.  Ha ha.  Dreamy has not been to a pleasure show in years, so she was definitely a bit scrambled in our first class, MHA Medallion Pleasure Open, mostly because it was HUGE with fourteen horses.  She was like OMGWHATAREWEDOING!  THIS IS NOT DRESSAGE, but she was still very well behaved and I was pleased with her.  We poked along as hunters in a class full of snazzy high stepping saddleseat horses.  ;-)  After that first huge class, she settled down and was fun to ride.  Of course, the classes stayed huge, but overall it was a fun day.  It was hot and dusty but a great way to kick off the 2013 show season.

I was completely worn out by the end of the day, and I am pretty sure I did not see 8PM.  LOL! 

Our results:
1st Hunter Pleasure Horse, Open (out of 21)
3rd Hunt Seat Equitation, Open (out of 15)
4th NEHC Pleasure Horse, Open (out of 5)
6th Adult Equitation, Open (out of 9)

We did not place in:
MHA Medallion Pleasure, Open out of 14
MHA Pleasure Horse, Open out of 19
Hunter Pleasure Horse Championship out of 11 (which bummed me out since we won the qualifier, but she broke to trot in the canter and I had to cue her again - oh well!)

All photos here were taken by my amazing photographer friend Katie!  

Good pony won a big class of 21!!  It was split, but still!!!  :-D

This mare has come so far!  

Always with the smile!


  1. lovely pics, congrats on your placings!

  2. She looks gorgeous!
    Speaking of poor prom/horse show related decisions... I went to a horse show two days after my own prom, which doesn't sound too bad when I put it like that. However, on the night of prom I went to bed at 3:45, got 3 hours sleep, went to school the next day, got another 3 hours sleep that night before waking up at 3:30 am, drove three hours, completed a full event, & drove 3 hours home. So I got to drive 6 hours to and from a show (plus compete at the show) having had a total of 6 hours sleep over the past 2 days. NEVER Again!

  3. You inspire me to go places with my stb. Glad I could follow your blog as I'm at an "eventing barn" and they all say, "stb? what? ohhhh"


Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!